Calc Guide 7.4 Updates

HI Jean
Not at all. just put a note on the ODT file. I’ll remove it on building the final ODT and PDF
Olivier

So you mean I should make changes (minor corrections) to the individual chapter files?
Jean

Another thing:there are a lot of unfortunate page breaks in this book. They are easy to fix, if it’s okay for us to use the “keep with next paragraph” option on a few paragraphs to move them to the next page.
Jean

Olivier,
Where should I put the corrected chapter files? Should I replace the ones that are there and rename the originals to “OLD” or move them to WiP or Archove, or what?

EDIT: I have checked the formatting and made changes to the ODM and the chapter files. (Chapters 3,4,5,6 did not need changes.) I have made a folder under “Published” for “A-Jean’s Corrections” (which should show at the top of the list) and put the files there.
Regards, Jean

Thanks @jeanweber for picking this up while I was away on holiday. It looks like everything is set for @ohallot to publish tomorrow? Let me know if there’s anything else to be done for this iteration.

Thanks again.

-Skip

Two chapters (I forget which ones, and I’m not at my computer to look it up) have a problem that I did not know how to fix, but I’m sure Olivier knows how. I left comments in the files. Sorry, I should have explicitly mentioned this in my earlier note.

Jean

Apologies for the delay, I was busy with a LibreOffice event (1) and I’m recovering.

I’ll have a look this week. Blog post already drafted.

Olivier
(1) | LibreOffice Conference América Latina

Since this document is using a template can we get the following character styles fixed up in CG7412-CalcMacros.odt? I thought a master template would remove all the non-standard styles. I’m happy to do it but I’m not sure which version to change:

Hi @jeanweber , Hi @flywire , all

Committed changes after @jeanweber review:

• Accepted JHW suggestions

• One extra empty paragraph after TOC. Fixed

• Comments from JHW, pg 21, letter a): “Numbering 2 paragraph style (or perhaps the Numbering 2 list style) has incorrect indentation of the lines after the first line. This needs to be fixed in the template style definitions.”

• One extra empty paragraph after TOC. Fixed
  • Removed unused “Code Ident”, “Code keyword”, “Code Literal”, + all _OOo* character styles from chapter, as suggested by @flywire .

• Accepted JHW suggestions, except suggestion for deletion.

I have replaced the files in the published folder.

I miss a clear defintion on the contents of the footer in the Default page style.
Even pages : ?
Odd pages: ?

Seems that each guide has its own setting… :wink:

Cheers
Olivier

1 Like

Now that the main publication is done, I think there are a few additional tasks:

1. Create Chapter PDFs. Assuming these instructions are still correct I can do that.
  2. Produce the Lulu version of the book. I was looking at a Windows version of this process but it looks like I can’t specify anything other than a standard size like A5 and not 6x9. Can someone do this on Mac or let me know if there’s a way to do this in Windows?
  3. Update the Publications page. Not sure how this happens?
  4. Work on Rev 1. I’ve created a 7.4 Rev 1 folder in Calc 7.4 to handle the updates for:
  • Chapter 1 - Extend info on View > Hidden Row/Column Indicator feature
  • Chapter 3 - Add Sparklines feature

I’ll draft these in the next week.

Anything else?

Cheers,
-Skip

1. The PDF instructions are correct, except “Export bookmarks” is now “Export outlines”.

2. Regarding the Lulu version of the book: until and unless other arrangements are made for publishing on Lulu or elsewhere, I am the person who does the publishing step (because I own the Lulu account being used now). So I might as well do the whole process, including making a 6x9 PDF and a wrap-around cover.

3. If you are familiar with wiki markdown, you can log in to the wiki using your SSO credentials and do it yourself: create a column for the new book & chapters and upload the files. It’s fiddly and sometimes confusing, but not particularly difficult. If you prefer, I can do this step.

Jean

Chapter PDFs published and Publications page updated.

But didn’t inherit Code character style.

Chapters 0, 1, and 3 have been updated in the 7.4 Rev 1 folder to:

• Add Sparklines section to chapter 3 and reference in chapter 0
  • Add hide columns and rows section to chapter 1
    Chapters 0 & 1 are final, ready for review if needed

Chapter 3 finalization is waiting on 3 bugs I’ve logged to see if/when they will be resolved.

I’ve added CG7412-CalcMacros_R1_FW_07Sep2022.odt.

Why doesn’t Listing 2 carry over to the next page?

I also note the template LO Chapter Template 7.4 is the one without the Light Grey 5 (eeeeee) area shading on paragraph style Code. Is it intended to make this change to the published document?

Added a tracking sheet to the 7.4 R1 folder and Published + Archive subfolders.
Added Chapter 2 to the folder and I will work on changes from this conversation to extend conditional formatting information.

Hi @Northwoods35

Reviewed and approved your contents on sparklines. Minor correction on image anchoring. File is in the R1 published folder.

Thank you for this !!!

Olivier

1 Like

Chapters 0, 1, 2 have been finalized and put into Published (they, along with all chapters pend review of Chapter references due to new chapter).

New Chapter XX has been reviewed. @ohallot

[Original reply to the deleted post reposted above.]

What is the purpose of the Guides? They are clearly not Reference:

I suggest the only text to support Date Figures and Note is:

Date applies a defined style depending on a data range chosen in the drop-down menu. Date range options are formed by applying This, Last, and Next adjectives to the available periods for Day, Week, Month, or Year with. Last 7 days is another option available. Examples include: Tomorrow (the word for next day), Last 7 days, This week, Next month, Last year.

I don’t think three lines explaining how to use cell conditions needs a two-page table of all Conditions for cell values.

1 Like

Yeah… you and @Northwoods35 are right, it is a bit extensive and boring.

Removing.
Olivier