Calc Guide 7.4 Updates

Calc Guide 7.4 Chapters 1 and 2 are in the Work In Progress folder on NextCloud and ready for review and comment.

Chapters 1 and 2 have both been updated to reflect changes introduced in versions 7.3 and 7.4.
There’s also a first draft of the Preface, but it will see more updates when all chapters are complete, so not looking for a review of that now.

As this is my first time through this process, please be critical (yet kind :smiley: ).

Thanks.

Hello Skip

The Preface is fairly standard for all the LibreOffice modules and should not be changed too much. Just make sure it mentions Calc.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Chapter 1 is reviewed.

1 Like

Chapter 2 is reviewed,

1 Like

No updates for Chapters 3, 4, and 6. There is a minor update for Chapter 5 that is ready to be reviewed (end of doc on QR / Barcode generation).

Thanks.

Hello! I’m new here and want to contribute. I was told that this was a good place to start. What can I do to get started?

Hi Charles

Please make a new topic with this question.

Updated drafts of Chapters 1-6 to date to reflect new feedback email address.
Chapters 1, 2 are revised to reflect feedback
Chapter 7 now ready for review (only a couple of minor updates).

Chapter 5 is reviewed

1 Like

@kees538 thanks for your review on chapter 5.

I’m a bit confused about the comment of “For the documents the English UK interface is used.” The style guide indicates the use of US English for spelling and the Producing LibreOffice User Guides indicates to use the en-US locale.

Are these docs out of date or is there something else going on here?

Thanks.

Chapters 9, 10 are ready for review.
No changes for chapters 8, 11, 12

I don’t know about these guides. But I am told the User interface should be English UK for making guides.

No, it should be US English UI for the user guides, unless that’s been changed and I missed it.

Jean

This what Peter Schofield maild me. So there is a difference of opinion.

Hello Kees

It is a bit confusing, but one gets used to it.

Work in aviation and you have to use US English as a legal requirement. Work in other fields, the English used depends on the company. I am used to working in both.

It would be good if we started using Simplified English making it easier to translate text into other languages. However, that requires a lot of input from writers. Also, you need an editor to control it all. I do not think it will be possible for LO to change to using SE as it does have very requirements to work well.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

On 4 Aug 2022, at 09:11, kees538@libreoffice.org wrote:

Hi Peter

I tried UK and indeed color is now colour everywhere.
So I reinstalled the images and replaced my version of the document on Nextcloud.
It is a bit confusing with two different English versions of the interface.

Cheers,
Kees

Peter Schofield schreef op 02.08.2022 10:07:

Hello Kees
Just to let you know that I am using a UK user interface on my
computers. That is why there is a difference in some of the spelling,
for example colour instead of color.
I use my computers for other tasks and need to use a UK layout.
Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Chapter 7 is reviewed

1 Like

Peter has been doing several things differently in the Impress and Draw Guides. As far as I know, the other books are still using US English as the UI, and there is no need to change them.

Jean

Moving en-US vs. en-UK debate to a separate thread…

Chapter 9 is reviewed

1 Like

Chapter 10 is reviewed

1 Like

The Preface, Chapters 13, 14, and 17 are ready for review
No changes for chapters 15, 16
Chapters 5, 7, 9, and 10 are updated from the reviews (I stuck with en-US for now :slight_smile: )