Getting Started LO 7.4

HI all, @Northwoods35

I have done some housekeeping in the published Getting Started 7.4.

1. Cleared direct formatting on each chapter

2. Cleared some bullet lists here and there

3. Some figures not centered

4. Created the master document (I had to overcome bug#145743)

5. Adjustments in the copyright+TOC of each chapter (wrapped in a hide-able section)

6. Created the full ODT by exporting the ODM as ODT (previous Published chapter were saved in my computer, just in case)

7. Updated folders in the cloud

8. Moved the Archive folder inside the Published folder to the 7.4 folder. Actually If these files are not important anymore we should delete them

Please let me know if there are issues remaining .

And thank all for updating the Getting Started Guide.

Olivier

@ohallot I have found several conspicuous formatting errors in the full-book ODT you produced. I do not have time right now to make a list of the problems, but I will do so when I can. – Jean

@ohallot Here is what I have found that is causing problems in the full-book ODT:

1. In Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer > Compatibility, you need to UNcheck “Add paragraph and table spacing at tops of pages”. Also, UNcheck “Add spacing between paragraphs and tables”.
  2. The first heading (usually “Introduction”) in each chapter needs to have a Break Before defined, with page style Default Page Style. This setting has been made manually in the chapter files, so it gets stripped out when you remove all manual formatting. All the pages, other than the one with First Page style, become Front Matter, which is incorrect and causes the footers on all the pages to be incorrect.
    I think the easiest fix for this is to define a new paragraph style to be used only for the first Heading 1 in each chapter.
  3. The Custom Properties page is blank, causing some fields in the text and footers.
    –Jean

EDIT: In Chapter 2, under Moving toolbars, the list starts with 8.

Have you disabled change tracking on chapters?

Lp, m.

Why is odm 23,x MB large? Should not this be the master document, only some kB large and importing all the chapter files? It seems this is a text document …
Of no use to l10n communities producing complete guides from translated chapters.

Also, I already reported this and it seems everyone understood it a few years ago - the chapters and master file still contain the month wording in the authorship/preface - for languages using cases this is a no-go (January in a proper form regarding the case in Slovenian can be januar, januarja, januarju, januarjem, and automatic replacement by LO will only be januar, which cannot be edited), so please do not automate the display of the current month in the preface/copyright section and leave it to be localized by typing.

Hi @jeanweber

Thank you for the review.

1. Done

2. Indeed. My fault. On adding a new style, that is a good idea. Raising hand for the Chapter template managed by @PeeWee . The TOC will also need update to include this specific heading.

3. Custom properties fixed in master

4. Found numbering error in GS7401.odt and fixed.

Chapters updated. Master doc updated as well.

Kind regards
Olivier

Yes. Remaining changes were reviewed.

IIRC, the master document allows to include the full linked contents in it. When opening the MD, you are asked to update the links. If you choose not t update, you still have the contents available.

So, the LO74 GS guide chapters have been “cleaned” for translation purposes?