[VOTE] TDF to submit application to register LibreOffice as a digital public good

Motion: ask TDF staff to submit application for LibreOffice
  • Yes
  • No
  • Abstain

0 voters

We are already recognized as Digital Public Good since March 2, 2023. You can find LibreOffice in the DPG Registry: Registry » Digital Public Goods Alliance. I applied in February, and the application was approved in early March (although nobody told us that the application had been approved).

Hi Italo,

I saw only Simon Phipps mail on tdf-members a few weeks ago, but I don’t know about the successful application. Thanks for it! LibreOffice is now officially a Digital Public Good.

I have found some problem with the DPG Registry page (Registry » Digital Public Goods Alliance), and reported them (filtering with checkboxes of Types/SDGs, also with the huge color SDG buttons don’t work on the home page, at least in Firefox and Google Chrome). If they will fix filtering, it will be worth to add other SDG (sustainable development goals in low- and middle-income countries) categories to the recent SDG4: Quality Education and SDG10: Reduced Inequalities categories of registry of LibreOffice. As a productivity tool, e.g. adding SDG8: decent work and economic growth, SDG9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure and SDG11: Sustainable cities and communities – I think of the cultural impact of a localized version of LibreOffice, and the main role of culture to sustain communities.

Best regards,
László

Hi Laszlo, I made the application with the objective of having it approved quickly, something which happened (although they didn’t communicate the approval). Now that we are approved, I think we can add other SDGs and also contribute to the project via Github. Once I will be settled in my new home - I have moved last week, but the process is not yet over, as there are some minor tweaks and over 250 boxes to go - and we will have launched LibreOffice 7.6 I will have time to think about DPG.

2 Likes

Thx! And the vote looks like it is passing, so you’re well ahead of us. :wink:

Thanks for that proactive work, Italo, much appreciated.

S.

The Board of Directors at the time of voting consists of 7 seat holders (not including deputies). In order to be quorate, the vote needs to have 1/2 or more of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4.

A total of 4 Board of Directors members and one deputy member have participated in the vote.

The vote is quorate.

A quorum could be reached with a simple majority of 4 votes.

Result of vote: 4 approvals, 0 abstain, 0 disapprovals.
Decision: The proposal has been accepted.
One deputy supports the motion.

Best, Thorsten

What is the complete set of obligations does the TDF considering this status?

Also,

9.b) Inappropriate & Illegal Content : Digital public goods that collect, store or distribute content must have policies identifying inappropriate and illegal content such as child sexual abuse materials in addition to processes for detecting, moderating, reporting and removing inappropriate/ illegal content.

Considering this condition, I oppose our being considered a “digital public good”. We should not legitimize the notion that the public good is censorious. On the contrary, a digital public good which collects, stores or distributes content must avoid identifying inappropriate and illegal content, and absolutely not detect, moderate, report or remove such content. The current definition is more like that of an “authoritarian state interest good”.

I also intend to bring this up on tdf-internal.

You probably overlook the fact that we have already been approved as Digital Public Good by people who have scrutinized LibreOffice and have decided that we are complying with the rules. You can send your remarks to the people who administer the approval process, who can explain the rationale behind clause 9b. Digital Public Goods Alliance’s webpage is at https://digitalpublicgoods.net and in the footer you can find their email address.

1 Like