Missing Tool description in Draw guide 24.2

In Draw there are two tools to create 3D rotation objects: “To 3D rotation object” and “In 3D rotation object”.

• To 3D rotation object – convert a 2D object into a 3D object with a default axis

• In 3D rotation object – converts a 2D object to a 3D object with a user-defined axis.

• This tool is accessed through the menu Shape > Transformations > In 3D rotation object.

Starting with version 7.3 of the Draw guide, the description of the “In 3D rotation object” tool has disappeared from the guides.

• I think this bug should be reviewed and the description of this tool should be re-included in the Draw guide (Chapter 7).
  • Perhaps it would also be wise to change the name of these two tools in the user interface to create a clearer distinction between them

OK Antonio

Will check and update.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

Hello

Using this template to create a LibreOffice user guide you create a Master document using the format ODM. Master documents have to know where the subdocument files are located in a computer file system so that a user guide can be created by exporting the ODM file into the required ODT format. This knowledge of knowing where the subdocuments are located is usually only on the computer belonging to the person who created the master document.

When exporting an ODM file into ODT format creates a user guide that includes the chapter Copyright pages and ToCs. These pages are not required in the ODT format version of a user guide. To solve this problem, duplicate chapter files have to be created without the Copyright and ToC pages before they are used for a Master document.

When creating an ODT version of a user guide without using the Master document method, the chapter Copyright and ToC pages are not copied. Only the chapter first page and the contents pages are copied and pasted into the ODT format version of a user guide.

ODT and PDF format of user guide and chapter files are required for the LibreOffice website so that LibreOffice users can access and download the files when they require information on how to use LibreOffice. A Master document cannot be used for this purpose.

I will be updating the current template instruction files to include the information about the new templates. Once complete, the files will be available for download.

Regards
Peter Schofield

psauthor@gmail.com

The links that are created when you add documents to the master document are links relative to the location of the master document.

• Anyone can download the master document and linked documents respecting the directory structure.
  • The most normal thing is to include the master document in the same directory as the linked documents

No need to create duplicate chapters.

• The Copyright section in each document must be hidden with the condition book eq 1.
  • In the master document the variable book with value 1 must be inserted (before any Chapter).

All Copyright sections of linked documents will be hidden so they will not be viewed, printed or exported to ODT or PDF when the master document is exported or printed.

The master document is an advanced working method that allows you to group the chapters of a guide in a very useful way, since you can check the final result and from the LibreOffice Navigator access the linked documents to edit them individually, without having to search for them. in a File Manager.

• Once the chapters have been assembled into the master document, it can be exported to PDF and you will have the complete book
  • If you want to have all the chapters in a single document, you just have to export it to ODT format

This Master Document method is not new to guides and has been used before, (at least @ohallot , @jucasaca and I used it to assemble the guides)

• Before indicating that something does not work, it would be interesting for you to research the techniques by consulting the related sections in the Writer guide.

https://books.libreoffice.org/en/WG24/WG2416-MasterDocuments.html
https://books.libreoffice.org/en/WG24/WG2417-Fields.html#toc33

Hello Antonio

I have followed the advice you have given about book with value of 1 for the added document and the master document. Exported the ODM file as an ODT file and the copyright section and ToC is NOT hidden.

I have gone through Chapter 16 in the Writer Guide and that does not help. In fact, this chapter is confusing and difficult to understand for creating a master document.

So some help is required, preferable as a simple step by step instruction.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

• I don’t have time to write a guide. I do not have sufficient command of the English language and translations from my language take me a long time.
  • I don’t think Writer’s guide is confusing or difficult to understand. You have to take time, read the instructions carefully and follow the steps to understand them better.
    (I have learned how to create master documents by reading the Writer guide)

• The index of every chapter must be In the CopyRight section so so that hiding the CopyRight section also hides the index.

1. The Copyright section of every chapter has to be hidden with the condition book eq 1

2. In the Master Document, in the section “TEXT” (for example after the title of the guide) you must insert a field of type Variable with Name book and Value 1 before any chapter. If you dont set it “invisible” you can see the variable value but also it will be printed or exported.

3. Export the master document to an ODT file Menu > Export and choose ODF text format (.ODT)

4. The last thing to do is unlink the chapter files in the new ODT created (Menu > Edit > External Links). So that the text of the chapters is integrated into the ODT document.

• You will have the complete guide in ODT format and there will also be the hidden sections of each chapter, it is not necessary to delete them.

Thank you Antonio

I shall use the info in this email and have another attempt at creating a master document.

Once I am successful in master document creation, I shall amend the present template instructions so that other documentation volunteers can create a master document, if required. Instructions are required so that the less experienced volunteers can create chapters and user guides in the same format. Although I am very experienced at creating user guides and manuals, I am a complete novice when it comes to master documents.

I still hold the view that the Master Document chapter in LO Writer is difficult to understand. My ethos when creating instructions is to keep them as simple as possible. However, that does not always work.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com