LO Chapter Template 7-4

Peter,
I have got completely lost in this thread, so I want to make sure which file we are discussing for the chapter template. Is it LO-UG-Chapter-Template-7-4.ott in the Contributor Resources folder? (Your original post on this thread did not give a name.) Thanks!

It would be useful to share NextCloud links in posts.

HI @bantoniof

I was reviewing the template for other purposes and found your remarks on the Keystroke character style.

When editing a character style, you can press “Reset to parent”. Then the character style get properties from the paragraph style. You must then set each property as you wish for the character style. Properties not set will inherit from the paragraph style (e.g. font size).

So Keystroke can be reset to parent. Then set Liberation Mono, italic, but do not set the font size.

Admitedly this behavior is quite obscure.

Cheers
Olivier

Tahks for the observation, this is more usefull than create a new style from 0

The reset to parent style is applicable to paragraph styles, the font properties (also the size) are reset to the parent style.
But the same does not happen with the Character styles, such is the case of the Code and Keystroke character styles.
By default, character styles should be created based on “No Character Style”.
If at any time the size is modified, it cannot be reverted to the parent style because once it has inherited the attributes of “No Character Style”, it is detached from it.
It is not possible to indicate that the parent style is “No Character Style” again, because it does not appear in the list.
And consequently, the font size dont’ change.

Even if it is assigned, it changes the parent style to another defined style, I have not been able to get the font size to changed (with Reset to parent style).
– You can try to Reset to parent style to change the size of Code character style in the new proposal template.

Hi @bantoniof
“No Character Style” is not a real character style. It is explained in the Help as

No Character Style is actually the set of character properties of the current paragraph style. Choose No Character Style to reset the character properties of the selection to those of the paragraph style. You cannot customize No Character Style.

https://help.libreoffice.org/7.6/en-US/text/swriter/01/05130002.html?&DbPAR=WRITER&System=UNIX

That property is not trivial.

When creating a character style, you can choose “No Character Style” as your first choice for inheritance. But then "No Character Style is changed to “None”. As explained in the Help, your new style does not have any attribute set.

You can confirm the attributes set in the “Contains” area of the Organizer tab. You have there the attributes that were set for the style.

[UPDATE] To reset the attributes, click on the “Reset to Parent” button of the specific tab page to have the attributes removed from the Contains are of the organizer.

Olivier

What is indicated in the Help related page is in theory, but it does not work in any of the versions that I have on my computer.

• I have tried it in Proposal-Template-24.odt
    With the Code Character Style as well as several new styles created.
  • Once the attributes have been changed, it is not possible to reset them to the parent “No Character Style”.

The biggest problem arises with the font size: if the font size is not changed, the character style adapts to the font size of any paragraph. but if it is changed, the character style becomes a fixed size that cannot be reset, and does not adapt to all paragraph styles.
– Which means creating a new style from scratch and not touching the font size.

– Indication in the help page
### Reset to Parent
Values for the current tab are set to those found in the corresponding tab of the style specified in “Inherit from” in Organizer. In all cases, also when “Inherit from” is “- None -”, current tab values specified in “Contains” are removed.
https://help.libreoffice.org/7.6/en-US/text/swriter/01/05130002.html?&DbPAR=WRITER&System=UNIX

Instaled version:

Version: 7.5.8.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: a3cc32c5bcaabeae7ab60e12c44c40a7d8d36345
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-ES (es_ES); UI: es-ES
Calc: CL threaded

Paralell version:
Version: 7.6.2.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 56f7684011345957bbf33a7ee678afaf4d2ba333
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-ES (es_ES); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded