Is it possible to create a photo book?

I am trying to do something similar to this: How merge pictures to create a Photo book w/ Publisher - YouTube

Where I have an excel/calc file where I have the description and link to photo columns like this:

(Example)
Column 1 | Column 2
This is a Cat | Link to Cat Photo
My door | Link to photo of a door
A pic of a building | Building photo
etc…

I have over a thousand rows that follow that example format and want to create a photo book where the name/description is above the photo, and I can have at least 6+ per page.

Is this possible? If so, can someone please point me in the right direction for how to do this using libreoffice instead of publisher?

Hello Jeff

You can use Impress to create a photo album, but syncing with Calc data I am not the expert.

Creating a photo album is a bit like creating a presentation. Look at the Impress user guide.

Regards

Peter Schofield
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team
psauthor@gmail.com

Hi, Jeff.

Not being an expert, but I would explore the idea of making a report in
Base using the Calc info as the table with data.
Reports are very flexible to do.

Another idea is to use a macro to take data from Calc and put it in a
Draw file, but I’d rather try the first option before giving up ;D

Celia Palacios

Hi

This forum is for discussion on the LibreOffice Help application development and updates, not to support end-users, who are better served in https://ask.libreoffice.org .

But since we are here, my tentative would be to create a photo album in Impress (Chapter 9, Slide Shows and Photo Albums), but the photo album will not get you a 6 photo per page nor a caption.

So, you may give a try in creating a custom “business card” or “label” document (File - New - Business Card), with 6 “cards” per page, linked to the spreadsheet as data source.

In each card/label you merge the caption and the link to the image. The photos will have to fit in the card custom dimensions. More information on mail merge at

https://books.libreoffice.org/en/WG76/WG7614-MailMerge.html#toc10

cheers
Olivier