Getting Started Guide 24

Hi (volunteers welcome)

I’m opening this thread to start the works for Getting Started 24 (GS24).
(AI: = Action Item)

Here are the topics:

1. Create folder /Getting Started Guide/24 (done)

2. Create folders WIP/ Published/ Covers/ under 24/ above (done)

3. Create control spreadsheet (based on previous one), clean contents (AI: @vladasavy )

4. Copy 7.6/Published/ contents to 24/WIP/ folder (AI: @vladasavy )

5. Rename files GS76xx to GS24xx (AI: @vladasavy )

6. for each GS24xx file:

• Update data in File - Properties - Custom Properties, set month to April or May (let’s be realistic).
  1. For each chapter GS24xx; review contents based on ReleaseNotes/24.2 - The Document Foundation Wiki . For the moment, use only comment to indicate the necessary changes, we will review in a meeting, before writing text. (AI: @vladasavy )

Cheers
Olivier

Hi Olivier,
The tasks for AI 3, 4, and 5 are completed.

However, here are some things I was not sure of:

• There are two files Starting with Calc guide - the plain one, and the other one marked with yours and RT initials. I’ve included both files, but we may need to decide on one to work with. @ohallot

• The same for Started with Base - we have plain version and RT-marked one. @ohallot

• I was not sure if I should leave there the renamed PDF Getting started Guide. It’s currently included; please feel free to delete it if you think it’s necessary. @ohallot

Regarding AI 6, I couldn’t find the Custom Properties tab or button. I’ve included a screenshot. Could you please point out where I might have overlooked? Thank you. @ohallot

Now moving to Chapters review (only commenting) :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Vlada

Hello @vladasavy

• AI 6: I see that you are editing the contents directly in Collabora Online installed in our TDF cloud.

While both software are 99% equal, the are different in details as you noticed.

We always use the desktop version for our guides edition. For two reasons: One is to be faithful to the current user desktop interface (24.2), when describing menus and taking/updating screenshots. We often have changes in the menus and changes in terminology, and I can’t guarantee that the online instance is in synch with the desktop version, they have different version numbering.

The second is to be 100% with the software we are writing about and that relates to details on operating system of the user and the way it manages documents.

Both software are very good and will render the document with no difference. The changes listed in the release notes are for the desktop version which we are writing about.

Therefore you must download/upload the chapters and use LibreOffice 24.2 desktop to edit them.

• The extra files I left had important remarks/comment by Rob Thornton to be addressed in the 24.2 edition.

• Drop the PDF, it will be rebuilt later with the new book.

Olivier