Getting Started Guide 24.8 - Update

Hi Team !

I’ve reviewed all chapters (except Base chapter - WIP) and additions / deletions were added with track changes enabled. All files where refactored with the latest template and “sanitized” to comply with our formatting rules.

The changes were done base on LO 24.2 and LO 24.8 release notes applied to an introductory text, so we avoid extensive and advanced contents.

It will be great to have the approvals / rejects of the changes in order to finalize the book, for the August release of LibreOffice. I’ll take all my changes for granted if no review is done at the deadline of July 31st.

The list of available chapters for review is on the control spreadsheet. Please update the spreadsheet if you pick a file to review and provide a return date. When uploading back to the WIP folder, please append your initials at the end of the file name. I expect less than 1 hour of your time to review and several chapters can be review in less that 10 minutes.

The chapters to review are in nextcloud folder

LibreOffice Documentation/English/Getting Started Guide/248/WIP

(Please tell us here what chapters you picked to review.)

Cheers
Olivier

Hello Olivier
I will be updating the Impress and Draw chapters of the Getting Started Guide to 24.8. I shall start at end of July. Finishing Draw Guide first to 24.2.

Regards

Peter Schofield
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team
psauthor@gmail.com

Thanks Peter
I added your initials in the spreadsheet.
Cheers
Olivier

@ohallot I will do the Writer chapter this week. I have put my initials in the tracking spreadsheet. If I have time after I finish that, I will review some others and tell you here that I’m doing them.
Cheers, Jean

@ohallot I see some formatting errors, including one x-ref error, in Chapter 4. Shall I fix them after I’ve reviewed Ch 2?
Jean

@jeanweber
I’m maintaining a local copy of the published chapters. Please let me know where the issue appears, it will be easier for me to verify and fix it locally.

Actually I miss a command to traverse the file for field/references errors. Visually chasing references errors is not very effective.

Olivier

@ohallot I notice that these chapters are based on a different template from the one I thought we were using. Some of the style definitions are different.

Jean

I have reviewed Chapter 2 (Writer) and uploaded it to the WIP folder for this book. I have moved the previous Ch2 files to the Archive folder. I have put the date returned in the status spreadsheet.
Jean

@ohallot Here are the errors I have found in Chapter 4.

1. The template attached to this chapter is not the same one that I thought we were using.
  2. Figures 3 and 4 need a slightly wider frame to allow for the caption to be wider if the figure number is >9 in the compiled book.
  3. On page 13, there is an unresolved x-ref.
  4. On pages 15 and 16, Right‑click on a style and select Modify – Modify is now Edit Style (was changed several releases past). In the Note, If Modify is grayed out – Modify is now Edit Style.
  5. Figure 6 should perhaps be replaced. Organizer tab is now General.
  6. Page 17, Step 3 under Page Styles, sentence is missing the final full stop (period).
  7. Page 17, Step 5 under Page Styles, Modify is now Edit Style. Also, the word “menu” is missing after “context”.

Jean

The frames adapt to the widest content (image or caption text), there will be no problems in the compiled book.
In the HTML version there may be problems with the tabs that separate the frames.

• The solution in this case may be to put each figure in a different paragraph or combine the two images and use a legend with the text Left: xxx, Right: xxx

Hi @jeanweber

You are right. I applied the sanity checks @bantoniof and I developed. The extension has a template that is supposed to be 100% with the 24.x template plus some extra styles for exporting to web pages that are not used in the books. If a difference exist we can fix it quickly. If I may, I’ll suggest you to try the extension. I found it extremely handy and saved hours of review and scrolling.

Fixed.

Correct and the body has even more text with the word Organizer.

Fixed.

Thank you for your help.

Olivier

HI @jeanweber

I have replaced the images in Writer chapter and created a partial book…

On the new Style reference field you noted, I have not much to add since there is no entry in the release notes yet.

Update on Style references: 86790 – Support STYLEREF field fully (so e.g. Chapter fields can be saved to DOCX)

Cheers
Olivier

Published and PDF files for Chapter 7 Getting Started with Draw are now available in the Published and PDF folders for the Getting Started Guide 24.8.

Regards
PeeWee

1 Like