Calc Guide 24 update

Hi team

I opened the Calc Guide 24 folder in the cloud.

• I added the updated covers in PNG format

• WIP, Covers, Published subfolders

• Copied the 7.6 published chapters in IP folder

• Renamed chapters file names to CG24nn, where nn is the chapter number

What is left to do

1. Create the control spreadsheet, based on the 7.6 control, spreadsheet

2. Visit each chapter and update the version number (File - Properties - Custom Field)

3. Visit each chapter and put it in track change mode, then save it.

Updating the contents

For the moment I invite the team to look at the LibreOffice 24.2 Release Notes and add a comment in the chapter of what needs to be updated, review or added.

We will review in our live meeting each comment and approve/reject the comment. After this review the team can pick the topic to write about.

Note: Not every change is visible in the Release Notes. Its not rare that a developer skip to add a change from the release notes. So the review process also means to check if the text is compliant with the software . As rule of thumb, the software is always right (even if it caries a bug).

What to look in the Release notes (sections):

• Calc

• Core/General

• GUI

• Accessibility

• Changes in UI strings

• Filters

• Feature removal

That 's it. Please coordinate to prevent work duplication.

Cheers
Olivier

Olivier,

I will take on the remaining tasks and they will be done by Wednesday COB.

Rob

1 Like

Hi there,

I have finished doing the following tasks:

1. Submitted the control spreadsheet for Calc 24.2.

2. Revised the version number for all of the Calc 24.2 files.

3. Put all chapters into track chance mode (Track Changes > Record).

4. Also per Olivier, I have added comments in the Calc file which indicate where possible updates might be needed per the 24.2 release notes.

List of chapters which may need to be updated:

Functions search field

Introduction
Formulas and Functions
Data Analysis
Calc as Database

Scientific notation

Formatting data (Looks like this might be more appropriate in EnteringandEditingData, but maybe more on formatting data would work here)
LinkingCalcData
FormulasAndFunctions
EnteringAndEditingData
CalcErrorCodes

Row and column for active cell

Introduction
Entering and Editing Data
Formatting Data
PrintExportEmailSign
FormulasAndFunctions
LinkingCalcData
SharingAndReviewing
CalcMacros
CalcAsADatabase
CalcErrorCodes

Hi All,

I have downloaded the latest files for update and modified the tracking spreadsheet accordingly.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Olivier,

When I open the Calc Guide ODT files on my Windows PC (using LO 24.2.1.1), they appear to have two minor issues:

• On page 2 of most chapters, a table can be found which shows the macOS equivalents for various Windows/Linux interactions. This contains a reference to the macOS Option or Alt key (⌄ ). This symbol is U+2325 in the Unicode set but is rendered as an empty square on my PC.
  • In the contents list, the dots before the page numbers look a little odd, see below:

These issues are relevant to several files. For a worked example, try downloading https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/f/1403514. The problems don’t seem to be there when viewing the file in “NextCloud Office”.

Have you any clues as to what might be wrong?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

On the macOS symbol, the ⌄ and ⌘ characters renders in my PC (Linux) but I can’t find them in the special character dialog under Liberation Sans font. If I enter U2325 in the dialog, I get a void. Bizarre.

On the TOC, I also noticed it
 Weird as well.

Olivier

Hi All,

I have updated the Calc Guide files for 24.2, to address those changes that I identified in the various sections of the 24.2 Release Notes. The files have been returned to Nextcloud and the tracking spreadsheet has been updated accordingly. It would be helpful if somebody could review the changes (which should be simple enough because the Track Changes feature was enabled while editing).

Still to do:

1. Remedy the problem that is causing the macOS Option key symbol (⌄) to be displayed as an empty square (see previous post).
  2. Remedy the problem that is causing the contents list of each chapter to contain odd-looking periods (see image in a previous post).
  3. Investigate whether the document footers are correct - in the previous issue the even page footer for each chapter stated the chapter number and title; in the updated files the even page footer states simply “Calc Guide 24.2”. I found the earlier method useful, but am unsure whether this is an intentional style change.
  4. Ask Olivier to use his magic macros to improve accessibility, remove direct formatting, etc.
  5. Move figures around to avoid unsightly white space at the bottom of pages (probably not worth doing until all other changes have been made).
  6. Any other final checks prior to issue.

I will not be able to progress these tasks in the next few weeks due to other, non-LibreOffice, commitments. Please feel free to complete any of the tasks and (hopefully) get the document issued without me!

Regards,

Steve

1 Like

This may be caused by a regression such as with list styles 159366 – List styles add paragraph direct formatting on loading Writer document (or be the same).
In version 7.5.9.2 these spaces do not appear in the index tabulations.

• I use Windows 10 and this version of L.O. (does not have the list styles bug)

The same thing happens to me with the special characters for the MacOS keys as to Olivier: They don’t appear in Liberation Sans, but they render well.

The macOS symbol ⌄ and ⌘ are present in other fonts but not in Liberation.

• When inserting the special character in a paragraph of the document, a direct format is used and when clearing the direct format the symbol is rendered. as if it were an image.

• In my version 7.5.9.2 they appear in DejaVu and Cambria.

• In my version 24.2.1.1 no longer appear in DejaVu. but they appear in Cambria.

In my version 7.5 I can use both fonts, insert the character, clear the direct formatting and everything is fine.
In my version 24 I can only use Cambria because it does not appear in DejaVu.

–It is possible that you do not have the Cambria or Dejavu font installed and that is why they do not render on your system.

Hi Steve
I reviewed CG2401.
“Nihil obstat”, changes approved.
Olivier
PS: I liked very much the feature that allows changing cells fonts on hovering the font listbox. I overlooked it.