About the next steps to Version 8

Hi Team

I’m bringing this broad topic for discussion and for planning our work.

Fact: LibreOffice will (likely) change version number after release 7.6, possibly Version 8.0. Good opportunity to review many of our contents and processes.

• The chapter template, updates and changes

• Address guides accessibility ( or try to do our best for accessibility)

• Updates in contents (based on release notes)

• Updates in our release deadlines

• Updates in our Documentation live meeting

• Updates in our Guide coordination leaders

• Miscellaneous

I’d like to resume our bi-weekly live meeting using TDF jitsi… In the past we had a meeting on Thursday at 18:00 UTC , but if you prefer another day and time, I have set a poll in https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org for that purpose.

Cheers
Olivier

2 Likes

Hello Olivier

Is this open to everyone from the Documentation Team?

Best
Nay

Hi Nay,
Of course… All team and the community at large.
Cheers
Olivier

Hello Olivier

Okay thanks for the info. I checked the poll and when I hover on the dates it says 3:00 UTC - is it at 3:00 UTC or 18:00 UTC?

Cheers
NC

hmmmmm… not sure how the poll picks the right timezone… The UI is a bit confusing.

Poll info says Americas/Sao_Paulo, which is UTC-0300, but that is my login/geography.

Lets make it between 11:00 - 19:00 in CET time zone.

Olivier

1 Like

Hi Team

So the poll is over, we have no consensus on the week day, so for the best of those who cast their vote, I will be available on Fridays and Wednesdays at 16:00 CET (14:00 UTC), starting this Friday May 19, 2023

The jitsi room will be Jitsi TDF Doc Team

See you there!

Cheers
Olivier

I’ve seen different references to changing docs format. The guides are a great high quality product but the process is poor. It’s single user with really poor tracking of suggestions and changes.

A simple text based system under git control could ultimately offer different documents but they could be better. Multiple people could offer changes at the same time, changes and suggestions would be tracked much better, and documents could link directly to the text producing them. My preference is markdown for the simpler formatting but ReSTructured text (Sphinx) is worth considering based on output options.

Hi @flywire

Actually our chapters are stored in Nextcloud and we have Collabora Online available to edit them on-the-fly, collaboratively.

The online version of LibreOffice supports versioning, track changes, comments and more with the advantage of rich edition and document rendering in real time.

It takes a bit to get familiar but it works. It address the needs of a multi author work.

Have you given a try?

Cheers
Olivier

Since I was warned off using Collabora Online I haven’t tried it except for the tracking spreadsheet. I used Google Docs a decade ago for collaborative group work and it was excellent. iirc it would update on the screen as soon as someone changed it.

I’d certainly support the concept to allow ad-hoc comments and save changes being dropped.

Hello @ohallot,

Updating you (+whoever will join) on here that I will be away from keyboard from Friday 26 to Monday 29, and won’t be able to attend Friday’s meeting.

Take care and catch up next week

Cheers
NC

1 Like