24.2 Base Guide update

Hello everybody.

I have begun the process of generating a new issue of the Base Guide. I have created a 7.6 folder in the relevant area of NextCloud and set up a tracking spreadsheet (which currently reflects that I have “checked out” all chapters). Meanwhile, I have started updating the files on my own computer.

At present, please do not make edits to the files in NextCloud as these will be lost when I upload the updated files from my PC back to the Work in Progress folder.

Regards,

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve
Given the date, should we bump to 24.4?
Cheers
Olivier

Hi Olivier,

That’s a sensible idea and I’ve changed the title of the thread accordingly to 24.2.

Regards,

Steve

1 Like

Hi Olivier,

Prompted by your email earlier today about the Calc Guide, would it be possible / easy for you to generate updated PNG format covers for the Base Guide 24?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Steve

1 Like

HI Steve
Yes of course!
That is done and available on the Covers folder of the Base/24 guide.
Cheers
Olivier

Thank you Olivier, it’s much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

Hello All.

I have returned all twelve ODT files and the ODM file to Nextcloud, in preparation for a 24.2 Base Guide. The tracking spreadsheet has been updated accordingly.

Please note the following:

• All files have been changed in some way, although for the majority the changes are limited to ensuring that captions do not extend onto a second line and moving images around to avoid excessive white space. Also, all files have been updated to an early 24.2 document template.

• The Preface has been updated to state where in the document the significant changes can be found.

• Chapter 2, Creating a Database, has been modified. Changes were tracked, so sidelines should help you locate them.

• Chapter 3, Tables, has been re-written. The scope of the changes is wide-ranging and tracked changes are not available (they quickly became unmanageable and pointless). The primary objectives of this re-write were (a) achieving greater alignment between the chapter and the content of the other guides, and (b) incorporating improvements that have already been made to the German Base Handbuch. At this issue, the chapter focuses on an HSQLDB 1.8.0 internal database, using it to demonstrate how to carry out typical table-related operations using Base.

I would appreciate any reviews that can be carried out, particularly of the chapters with significant changes.

Regards,

Steve