Updating the Calc Guide for LibreOffice Community 7.6

Hi All,

I have downloaded the source files for the next version of the Calc Guide and will update all chapters to reflect the changes necessary for 7.6. I have already modified the status reporting spreadsheet to reflect that I have “checked out” all chapters.

Many thanks to bantoniof for comments raised on the previous version of the document and I will address those as I update the chapters.

Please do not make further edits to the files in Nextcloud to include additional comments as these will be lost when I upload the updated files from my PC back to the Work in Progress folder.

Regards,

Steve Fanning

1 Like

Hello everybody.

All chapters of the 7.6 Calc Guide have been updated and uploaded to NextCloud ready for review. I have updated the tracking spreadsheet to reflect their revised status.

The files that were previously in the Work in Progress folder have been moved to the Archive folder. Looking at the modification dates of these files, unfortunately it appears that they may have been modified since I downloaded the files for editing on 11th October. I was not aware of these additional changes or comments while updating the files and so have not addressed them. It would be helpful if the authors of the changes or comments could check whether any items need to be introduced into the updated files as review comments.

Regards,

Steve

Hi!

I reviewed and published all chapters (odf), master document(odm), compiled book PDF(pdf) and compiled book source file (odf).

All changes accepted (@stevefanning ), minor adjustments (@ohallot) and addressed some accessibility issues (not all), thanks to @bantoniof .

Files are in published folder for last minute review.

Cheers
Olivier

Hi Olivier,

I have given the document a last minute check and found no significant problems.

Two minor points:

1. Is the penultimate page (571) intentionally blank?
  2. I noticed that the master ODM file links to source ODT files in a specific folder accessible to your PC but not mine! This may need to be sorted before issue.

Regards,

Steve

Hi @stevefanning

1. No, it’s not, but an unfortunate corner case where the table ends the chapter and the extra empty paragraph cannot be removed. I decided to twek the table at the expense of some contents in this last page, just to not leave it blank.

2. Can be my fault. I hope I fixed it.

Cheers
Olivier

@ohallot @stevefanning
Footers in the TOC shows Calc Guide 7.5, not 7.6. Same for the metadata in the PDF, which comes from the same field in the doc properties.

Page 17 refers to Chapter 13, Macros in the Getting Started Guide. That chapter is now Ch11.
Page 434 x-refs to “Opening and saving files on remote servers” in Chapter 1, Introducing LibreOffice, in the Getting Started Guide. This topic is not in Ch1 of GS; I think it is in Ch10, but with a different heading. Numerous other references to GS Ch1 in various places in this book have the chapter name wrong; it’s changed - and may not include the info it once did.

I think we decided awhile ago to change refs to other books to just be the name of the book, to avoid this problem.

There are also lots of unfortunate page breaks, but those are not errors as such.

Jean

1 Like

@ohallot @stevefanning Found another error: on page 147 is a paragraph “Changing overall appearance of charts” which should be a Heading 1 but is tagged as body text.

In Chapter 15, the terminology for Extension Manager has changes. It’s now “Extensions” and is reached through Tools > Extensions.

1 Like

Hi Olivier,

Are you happy to deal with the latest comments, or would you like me to address them?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve
Thanks for the offer but I’m in too and already fixed a lot of issues . I plan to upload it today.

Some remarks

• I found style “Text Body List Intro” applied where it should not

• List ‘n’ and Numbering ‘n’ with weird measures (the tab character widens the gap between number/bullet and text)

But I’m leaving it for the next release, with a reviewed template.

Cheers
Olivier

So I updated the Calc published files…

• Fixed @jeanweber remarks.

• Tried to minimize “voids” in pages. Most are due to large images that slips to next page. For some of them - dialog screenshots with big empty spaces - I decided to crop them to reduce height. Others I manage to scale down to reduce size and fill the “void”.

Cheers
Olivier

Print edition is available on Lulu.

1 Like