During the past few weeks, I have become more familiar with Base and the Base Guide (BG). In summary, I feel that the content of the BG would benefit from some care and attention. This will be time consuming and should be considered as a long-term aim, not a short-term fix.
I think we should adopt a phased approach to improving the document rather than trying to overhaul it all at once.
I suggest that we try to create an update to be published as soon as possible after the release of LO 7.3. The following improvements would be worthwhile and should be achievable in that time frame:
1. Review and update Chapter 1, Introduction to Base, so that is better
aligned with the guides for other LO components and provides more
information aimed at novice users. (A draft update will be available
for review in a few days)
2. Update two of the sample databases that are publicly available
(Media_without_Macros.odb and Example_Sport.odb) so that they are
consistent with the revised text of Chapter 1.
3. Review and update Chapter 2, Creating a Database (task includes
refreshing and anglicizing figures where necessary, and checking
correctness of text). I will work on this as soon as I’ve completed
the Chapter 1 update.
4. Update all other chapters to add captions to the many figures that
do not currently have them.
5. Update all other chapters to remove any unnecessary negativity about
the software product.
Does the above sound reasonable for the first step in a phased update plan?