Problem with transparency in LO User Guides

I always have “Create PDF Form” turned off when I produce a PDF for printing. That flattens the form, but unfortunately does not affect transparency. However, using Archive PDF/A-1b did remove transparency.
Jean

1 Like

That needs to find it’s way into the documentation guide and possibly the Writer and/or Draw guide.

OK Jean

Not a problem to flatten PDF files. If it happens again, send me the finished PDF that is ready for Lulu and I will flatten it.
I will look at PDF/A-1 to see what it is all about.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

The flattened file provided by Peter still contains transparency, according to Lulu. From my reading, most so-called “flattening” appears to deal with things like form fields, while leaving transparency and layers in images.

The file produced from LO using the setting for PDF/A-1 does not contain transparency. I hope the revised book will print okay without other problems.

Jean

Just to be clear:
For purposes of reading onscreen and printing on non-commercial (home and office) printers, a PDF needs the settings we usually use, which are different from the settings needed for commercial printing, including Lulu’s print-on-demand. For example, for reading onscreen, “export outlines” should be selected; this puts a “table of contents” list in the sidebar in most PDF viewers. For commercial printing, that setting should not be selected. Similarly PDF/A-1b should NOT be selected when producing out usual PDFs for distribution through the LO website and wiki.
Jean

In Tools - Options - LibreOffice - Print there is an option to reduce transparency to No Transparency when printing to file. Does this remove the transparency from images in PDFs.