New Chapter Template for LO24

Hello Antonio
Could you please send me your file on Definition of Styles, or send me a link to download it. I know I downloaded the file, but cannot find it now.
Regards
PeeWee

It is in NexCloud, in Contributors Resources

Regards

Thank you.
Could not remember the filename. Brain is not working fully this morning.
Regards
PeeWee

Suggestion:
I’ve noticed that a new style of numbered list may be needed in the new template:

1. The Legend Numbered paragraph style shares the associated numbered list style with the Numberig 1 paragraph style.
    When a Figure with a Legend Numbered is sandwiched between a list of Numbering 1 steps,
    It is quite complicated to adjust the numbering:
  2. When you reset the numbering in the numbered legend, the Numbering 1 style continues the numbering of Legend Numbered

If another style of list is created (for example Legend Numbering) each list follows its own numbering without interfering with the other.

• The User/reviewer does not have to apply this style because it is associated with Legend Numbered, and will practically not know that this style exists.

Regards

Hello Antonio

I will look at your suggestion for a new numbering style. However, I think that the present Legend Numbered paragraph style can become the new numbering style.

Regards
PeeWee

I do not know if I explained well.
Numbering 1 paragraph has an associated list style: Numbering 1
(Properties > Outline and list > List style).
Legend Numbered paragraph has the same associated list style: Numbering 1

I think the best would be
Numbering 1 > Outline and list > List Style = Numberig 1 (as is)
Legend Numbered > Outline and list > List Style = Legend Numbering (or something similar)
(Legend numbering to be the new Llist Stile)

Hello Antonio

Below is my suggestion for a numbered legend list. I have used Numbering 123 list style and changed the number format to (!). I am still working on indents & spacing to make the legend look good in column format.

(1) Slide number

(2) Information area
(3) Master slide or page
(4) Cursor position
(5) Object size
(6) Unsaved changes
(7) Text language
(8) Fit slide to current window

However, you still need to restart numbering when you have more than one legend in a chapter. I have not yet found out how to automatically restart numbering for each legend numbered list.

regards
PeeWee

I don’t understand this list.
– Are you talking about Writer Styles?

• You need tocreate the new list style Legend Numbering
  • You only need to change the Legend Numbered paragraph style. Outline and List > LIst Style = Legend Numbering
  • You must change the New Legend Numbering List Style to have the same properties than the Numbering 1 List Style – only modifications on level 1 are necessaries
    To do so, go to Properties of Legend Numbered List Style:
  1. , Tab Customize
  2. Tab Position
  • The restarting numbering in each First Legend numbered paragraph must be done manually. or with a macro.
    Only, when yo create a new legend numberd, the numbers start by 1 if is the firstl listing of legend numbered,

Hi @PeeWee , @bantoniof , all

1. Can we consider to change the Tab Stop in lists to Space? The reasons are
  • If we define the tab stop in “Followed by”, we need to set the right tab stop position in the paragraph style. At the moment, I see the distance between the number/bullet from text too large (large gap)

• Worse, tab stops are not part of the HTML standard and we run in trouble on exporting to (X)HTML.

1. Can we change the Note, Tip and Caution icons? My suggestion is to use the icons available in the Help… Just suggesting for the sake of changing… :slight_smile:

1. I see paragraph style Caption described for tables and code listings. How about caption style for images inside the frame? The main property for Figures caption is to be centered in the bottom of the wrapping frame.

2. @jeanweber suggested a special style Heading 1 First which is Heading 1 with a page break before, used in the first heading of the chapter. Has this been dropped?

Thanks
Olivier

Hello Olivier

I like your idea about changing the icons used for notes, tips, and cautions. The icons resemble icons I have come across in my writing career.

Using the Figure style as a caption removes the need to have an extra caption style and Figure is a default style. Figure style is already centrally aligned. The font is now Liberation Sans Italic 11pt.

Not sure about Heading 1 First. It is introducing a custom style. I find that it is not required because there are page breaks used after Subtitle on First Page and the Table of Contents.

Regards
PeeWee

Hi @PeeWee and all
The Page Break Style insert a page break but the next page style is also Front Matter
The Heading 1 First insert a page break an the nex page style is Default Page Style

The Page Break Style after Subtitle style is inneccesary because we can configure the style Subtitle to add a page break after (Text flow)

The styles that Writer uses for captions are in the Special Styles Category within the style hierarchy. They are paragraph styles and as such they can be used manually anywhere in the text, but they also have another feature:

When you insert an image, table, or other object into the document, you usually add a caption (Menu > Insert > Caption). Writer displays the Caption dialog so that the fields can be filled in with the characteristics you want to apply (Category, numbering, etc.). When you click OK

Writer adds the corresponding paragraph and also includes a sequence number.
Writer automatically assigns to the paragraph (or frame) a style appropriate to its category.
This way it is very convenient to put captions to objects, without having to use or apply another paragraph style for diferents captions.

• Caption This is the parent style of all captions Should not be used except in special cases
  • Drawing Captions for drawing objects - Writer adds a frame to the drawing
  • Figure Captions for images -Writer adds a frame to the image
  • Illustration Captions for Some Ole Objects graphics -Writer adds a frame to the object
  • Table Captions for tables -Writer add a paragraph of normal text
  • Text text frames or text boxes -Writer insert a paragraph on the frame or the text box

When you create a secuence numbering for listings or formulas etc., Writer create a new style inherit from Caption style whit the name of the secuence that you create, This is the case of Listings and Formulas

Note: The Figure paragraph style can be used for images, an his captions and also for the frame. Althroug this font style is italic not affect to frames or images. (and is centered how we need for frames and images).

• We only need to insert a paragraph break betwen the image an the caption

Why no use the Table Style for tables , The Figure syle for images, The Listing Style for Listing and The Formula Style for formulas?

Remember you dont need to change the paragraph style for the legend inserted

We should also consider what the Front Matter page style is for because the only difference with the Default Page style is the footer on the left page, unless that footer is considered essential, the document does not need that page style.

Hello Antonio

The first page used in the Front Matter page style is a left page because it follows the First Page style. The left footer on this page is used for a link to documentation on the LO website. IMO Front Matter page style should remain.

Regards
PeeWee

Writer considers the first page as the right page.

• Writer will use a left page style on the next page (unless a right page next style is specified)
    • This is not a feature of Front Page Style.
  • Link to documentation pages can be included in the CopyRight section.

Another thing:
In styles with mirrored pages you can get 2 pages (left and right) or 3 pages (First page, left and right).

This is achieved by configuring the headers or footers.

• Same content contained on first page marked = you get 2 pages
  • Same content contained on first page without marking = you get 3 pages

It is not necessary to have 3 pages of Front Matter style.

Hello Antonio

I see no difference if "Same content on first page” is not selected or selected.

Having Front Matter pages makes it easier to transfer data from the separate chapter files into the user guide file.

I definitely disagree with the idea of removing Front Matter page style.

Regards
PeeWee

That’s because you haven’t experimented with that box.

That is done with sections, not with the Front Matter page style

Hello Antonio

Sections are used when creating a master document. This method I have not mastered yet (pardon the pun). The procedure for using a master document is not very clear and difficult to understand.

The other method is to copy and paste and this where Front Matter pages are needed to help in the transfer from chapter file to user guide file, especially the volunteer writers who do not have good experience in using LibreOffice. This is the method I use when creating a user guide and is very easy to do.

I will do further tests to work out a solution.

Regards
PeeWee