FAO Jean Weber - reintroduction of contributor

Hi Jean

I used to help you with Writer and Impress back in 2010 and again in 2019. I’ve got some time as I’m looking for a new job at present so if you would like me to help you, I’m here.

Kind regards

Claire Wood

Hello Claire

It is good to hear from you.

I am looking after the Impress and Draw guides. When it comes to upgrading to a new version of LO, which is now 24-8, these two guides are very easy to upgrade. Reason being is that any changes required are usually minor and quick to complete.

The template has changed and a new template is being developed by Antonio so that it matches the Sanity Check extension for LO, which Antonio and Olivier have developed. I will be using the new template for all new Impress and Draw chapters and UGs. It will just be a copy and paste job, then a check to see if everything is OK.

Hope to hear more from you.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

SanityCheck extension has a macro to change the template used in documents. No copy and paste necessary.

Please, read the documentation

OK Antonio

I will look through the extension documentation. After reading, I will probably add the instructions in the template instructions that are available for creating chapters and user guides.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hello Antonio

There is a problem with the new template.

Changing paragraph styles, for example from body text to column contents, the style changes, but all the text becomes BOLD. The indication in the style properties dialog for the font indicates Regular. This has happened on several paragraph styles when I have changed the paragraph style.

Also, when changing paragraph styles, the spacing above and below is incorrect. You have to add a blank paragraph above the paragraph that has had its style changed, then delete the blank paragraph. This causes movement and the paragraph concerned then has the correct spacing.

At the moment I am not sure as to what is happening. Any clues? I am using LibreOffice 24.8 beta macOS Sonoma 14.6.1.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hello Antonio

I have been creating master documents to get some experience with the new templates, but have found a problem with the ToC.

In the complete user guide, there is only ToC which is after the Copyright page. Manually creating a user guide using copy and paste, you can avoid letting the chapter ToC from being placed into the user guide. Using a master document to create a user guide, then saving that user guide as an ODT file, I find that all the chapter ToCs have been included. Deleting the chapter ToCs from the ODT user guide is easy, but time consuming.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

There is a bug in versions 24x about the Headings of hiden sections in the index. This bug is not present in version 7.6.7.2

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=162195

What you’re telling me seems very strange to me. I don’t think it’s a template problem.
The only thing I can think of is that the paragraph has also a character style applied.

• But without a file with the problem I can’t say more.

Remember, Beta versions are not recommended for production work

Hi Peter, if you can give me an indication of where you want me to start and what to do, I will crack on with the work. I’m assuming I have to wait until the bug issue is resolved?

Hello Claire

At the moment everything is up to date.

LO 24.8 is available in early Beta stage, but there will be a new template to use with this upgrade. There are little problems with the new template which I am in discussion with Antonio about them.

Included with the new template is the use of the SanityCheck extension. This is a new extension that has to be downloaded and installed for use in LO Writer. It is used to setup a new chapter, or update an older chapter, by using macros that are included in the extension. I am still working on using the extension to understand its workings. Once I am confident in using it, I will update the template instructions for LO chapters and user guides.

I will keep you posted.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hello Antonio

I think I have solved the problem.

It was the Definition Term paragraph style creating the problem of text in the following paragraph being bold. I have reset the Definition Term style and it now looks OK.

Do you want me to send a copy to you?

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

In the Draw 7.6 guide I found many Definition Term paragraphs that also had the Strong Emphasis character style applied. That format may still be applied in the Draw 24x guide. I’m sure that this was the problem

This is detected with SanityCheck’s Toogle Highlight macro but it must be cleaned by applying the “No Character style” to the paragraphs

maybe this one ?
:innocent: Starting Calc Guide 24.8 update

and more generally Documentation - The Document Foundation Wiki

You are correct.
Just checked and found that Bold character style had been applied.
Now fixed.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

The bug only afects to the final index on a Master Document. you can work in any chapter of any guide without problems