The Document Foundation
Board of Directors Meeting 2022-10-17
Session chair: Thorsten Behrens
Keeper of the minutes: Florian Effenberger
In the meeting:
Board Members - Thorsten Behrens, Cor Nouws, Paolo Vecchi, Laszlo Nemeth, Gabor Kelemen, Jan Holesovsky (from 16:06 UTC/18:06 Berlin on), Emiliano Vavassori (from 16:09 UTC/18:09 Berlin on)
Board Deputy Members - Gabriel Masei
Membership Committee Members - Uwe Altmann
Membership Committee Substitute Members -
Community - Simon Phipps, "Harold", "Pk", "Member", "Fellow Jitster"
Team - Florian Effenberger, Ilmari Lauhakangas, Sophie Gautier, Guilhem Moulin, Olivier Hallot
The Board of Directors at time of the call consists of 7 seat holders without deputies. In order to be quorate, the call needs to have 1/2 of the Board of Directors members, which gives 4. A total of 7 Board of Directors members are attending or represented in the call.
The board waives all formal statutory requirements, or requirements in the foundations articles, or other requirements regarding form and invitation, time limits, and for the topics discussed in this meeting.
The meeting is quorate and invitation happened in time. From now on, motions can be passed with the agreement of a simple majority of those remaining present. The majority threshold is currently 4.
Any updates regarding director affiliations?
* no changes, current affiliations see election page:
Would any of the directors present need to declare an interest, for any of the listed agenda items?
* Thorsten/Gabor: item 3, Windows Store (as former vendor of LibreOffice
* Cor/Kendy: item 3, Apple Store (depending or where discussion goes)
The public meeting commences at 16:03 UTC / 18:03 Berlin time.
### Public Part
1. Answering questions from the community (tdf-board, 5 mins)
Rationale: Provide an opportunity for the community to ask
questions to the board and about TDF
* None from the community
* Received CoI statement 10 mins before call, no legal items mentioned, asks to have in public (Paolo)
* item has 5 mins, might have other business today, packed agenda - discuss today? (Thorsten)
* suggest to have it another public or private meeting, deserves more than 5 mins (Cor)
2. Discuss: Progress Strategy - using LibOCon discussion result and
combining with Survey results (Cor Nouws, 15 mins)
* status report & next steps
* important to talk about how to organize this in a smart way
* discussed in Berlin, had ~20 items (Cor)
* Milan workshop showed community voice for priorities, report shared by Uwe, now sent to tdf-internal, quick summary:
* several categories
* important and urgent, board's agenda:
- double # of devs;
- significant increase of non-EU contributors and entities;
- two more companies into ecosystem
* important, but not urgent - have mentor
- various items
* not urgent, but urgent - delegation
- various items
* proposal to setup working group for the four important items and move forward (Thorsten)
* anyone raises hands directly?
* raising for #5, #6 (Thorsten)
* volunteer for #1 and #3 (Cor)
* interested in raising number of devs (Gabor)
* should not be board-only, but as many people as possible (Thorsten)
* holding the pen here (Cor), nagging people
* make sure around all items either
- teams start to work (board+members)
- mentoring/delegation is taken care for.
( Note: the three sections and items they hold)
** Important and urgent (the BoD agenda)
* double number of developers
* significantly increase contributions from non-EU communities & entities
* in 2 years, get two additional companies into the ecosystem
* (be the largest FLOSS community in the world, without major conflicts anymore – (ranked close to this segment)
( For each of these: a card, names, a plan... )
** Important, but not urgent (mentor needed)
* have 10% of project budget decided/voted on by members
* substantially increase diversity in the project
* (have teaching LibreOffice programming & coding details be university / computer science subject – (ranked close to this segment)
( For each of these: (if not already done): a card, a mentor, ... )
** Not that Important, but urgent (to delegate immediately)
* direct democracy implemented via decidim
* catch up with the industry (to be good and be seen)
* move away from desktop-only
* be fully interoperable
* be the largest FLOSS community in the world, without major conflicts anymore
( For each of these: (if not already done): a card, an ‘external’ owner, ...)
3. Status Report, Discuss: Status: LibreOffice in the app stores
(Florian Effenberger, 5 mins)
Status report and various ongoing discussions
* current status & timeline
* live in Apple app store since early September
* Windows App Store 64 bit approved, 32 bit pending - plan is to go
live this week
* revenues from last month
* Impressions: 227,900
* Page Views: 18,230
* Conversion Rate: 1.53%
* Units Sold: 1,970
* Estimated Proceeds: € 9.500
* Proceeds per Paying User: € 5,59
* upgrade cycles - how many updates will users get?
* messaging: paying for convenience/"donation" (Thorsten, Paolo)
* no lifetime updates, what's a reasonable time for updates?
* avoid shipping .0 - we should start with .3 or .4 for the shop,
template should be process we use for updater across versions
* should ask Cloph about workload, ai cloph to work out a proposal,
which update regime with roughly one year of updates (regardless
of purchasing time) could work
* one year of updates seems reasonable
* vouchers do not scale, creating internal, staggered releases
on the stores might do (to group users together, so timings for
EOL can be ~independent from purchasing dates)
* Apple has severe limits on # of vouchers (Florian)
4. Vote, Discuss: Move board-discuss to Discourse (Florian
Effenberger, Thorsten Behrens, 5 mins)
* discuss remaining question
* decide on moving ahead or not?
* ai tdf-board please ask participants on board-discuss, how they
feel about it?
* ai thorsten share link to demo setup again
* quick show of hand had 4 in favour, remaining board undecided ->
let's not rush it
CoI not discussed today, after unanimous agreement.
I will simply reply to the various errors and misleading answers contained in the reply to my defence and then let the board do what they want with it. (Paolo)
The public meeting ends at 16:52 UTC / 18:52 Berlin time.
Thorsten Behrens (Session chair)
Florian Effenberger (Keeper of the minutes)