Binary Stars in LibreOffice Sky: Impress and Draw Guides 7.6 Released!

1 Like

@PeeWee Something’s gone wrong on page 374 of the Impress Guide. Some text about Fontwork toolbar has overprinted text about Find toolbar, and the figure for Fortwork toolbar has disappeared.

Hello Jean

I will check later today. I have seen this happen before and have managed to fix it. You have to cut the figure and paste back into position. This seems to solve the problem.

Everything was OK when I published the Impress Guide.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com
Technical Writer, LO Documentation Team

This was in the published full-book PDF I downloaded today from NextCloud and from the Docs website; also in the full ODT. The individual chapter file looks ok. So it looks like something weird happened during compilation of the full book.

Hello Olivier

Please note that I have replaced the Published and PDF files for the Impress Guide 7.6. There was a formatting problem on Page 374 with one of the figures clashing with text. It was caused by the figure being too close to the bottom of the page.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

1 Like

Hello Jean

Please note that I have replaced the Published and PDF files for the Impress Guide 7.6. There was a formatting problem on Page 374 with one of the figures clashing with text. It was caused by the figure being too close to the bottom of the page. This has happened before and I think it is the spacing around a figure frame that is causing the problem.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hi @PeeWee
The files were replaced.
Cheers
Olivier

@ohallot I have now published the print editions of these two books on Lulu.
Draw Guide:

Impress Guide:

@peewee @ohallot I have discovered that the formatting problem persists in the ODT file. I have fixed it, saved the file, closed and reopened it, and the problem has returned. The PDF is fine.

I am now in the process of attempting to discover what is causing this behavior. Deleting various other chapters in the full book [I’ve been doing one at a time] causes the problem to fix itself, but I’ve not yet tracked it down any further.

Jean

@ohallot @peewee I have now discovered that the formatting problem on page 374 appears to not be present when the ODT is opened in LO 7.6 on Windows 11. My earlier work was on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1. Peter, are you also using some version of macOS?
I have not tried opening the ODT in LO on any Linux distribution.

Hello Jean

I am using macOS Sonoma 14.2.1. It also occurs on my old MacBook Pro using macOS 10.15.7 Catalina.

I recently discovered that the problem only seems to be in macOS. I opened the file in Windows and Ubuntu. No formatting problem.

Definitely needs a bit more investigation.

The formatting problem only occurs when the figure is at the bottom of the page when there is very little space below the figure frame and the page bottom margin.

Regards and Seasons Greetings

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Hello Jean

Just had a thought.
I will add extra space below for the Figure paragraph style and see what happens.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

@ohallot Please put links on the Documentation web page to the print editions of the Draw and Impress Guides 7.6. I provided links on this topic in November; see upthread.

• Jean

Hi Jean
Done!
Cheers
Olivier